Thai Cucumber Salad
Serving Size: 4 to 6
- 4 large small cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices or use a spiral slicer
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced into 1/2 inch strips or chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. raw honey (omit for whole food thirty)
- Dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- Prepare the cucumbers and onions. Place the cucumbers in a strainer in the sink and toss with the sea salt. Allow the cucumbers to sit for about 45 minutes to release some of their moisture. Rinse the cucumbers well and set aside.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and add the apple cider vinegar, water, raw honey and optional red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and add additional ingredients as needed. Add more vinegar to increase the sour flavor, more raw honey to increase the sweetness, and/or add more red pepper flakes to increase the heat. Remember that the flavors will intensify after marinating for a while.
- Toss the cucumbers, onions and sauce in a large mixing bowl and cover. Place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours or more before serving.