Slow Cooker Chicken & Veggies
Serving Size: 4 to 6
- One 5 – 6 pound whole chicken
- 2 pounds baby potatoes
- 3 large carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 10 pearl onions or 1 large sweet onion quartered
- 1 head garlic, cloves smashed and peeled
- 1 lemon squeezed – save the peels
- Optional – 3 sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Combine all of the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a six-quart slow cooker, evenly distribute the baby potatoes, carrot chunks and half of the peeled garlic cloves along the bottom.
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly under cool running water; trim away any excess skin. (Be sure to remove the giblets and neck; reserve for making stock-you can freeze for later.) Pat chicken dry with paper towels
- Place the bird breast side up on top of the veggies. Pour the lemon juice over the chicken. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the top of the chicken. Then stuff chicken with the remaining peeled garlic cloves, along with the lemon peel, and sprigs of thyme and rosemary if you have them.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours until cooked through. Chicken is finished when an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F.
- To crisp the skin, carefully transfer the bird to a broiler pan. Set oven to broil and position the bird about 12-14 inches from the heat source. Broil for approximately 4-5 minutes, just until skin browns and crisps. Enjoy! (Remember to save the chicken bones to make healthy homemade slow cooker bone broth.)