Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: Approx. 24
- 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cashew butter or Sunflower butter (if you use sun butter reduce baking soda to 1/4 tsp. and add 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1 Large egg
- 1/3 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp organic coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cream Cheese Frosting (Below)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. Do not just rub with oil.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the coconut sugar and nut butter until combined. Add in the pumpkin and egg, beat again until smooth and well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the coconut flour, cacao powder, baking soda and spices (vinegar if using sunflower butter) to the bowl and stir, scraping down the sides, until well combined. Your dough will be very soft, a little more like muffin batter.
- Drop the batter by heaping 1 Tbsp balls on the cookie sheet.
- Using a fork, press each ball out to about 1/3 inch thick. These cookies do not spread out at all when baking, so you need to press them beforehand. It does take some time, as the dough is soft, so be a little patient. Or put a little oil on your hands and press down.
- Bake until golden brown and the tops feel set, about 10-15 minutes. Let the cookies cool COMPLETELY on the pan.
- Once cooled, use a spatula to GENTLY lift them off the pan and DEVOUR! Makes approximately 13 cookies.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter softened
- 2 tablespoons honey, preferably raw & organic or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl combine all ingredients and beat on medium high with a stand mixer or hand mixer until light and fluffy.
*this recipe makes enough icing for 12 cinnamon rolls or cupcakes. If frosting a cake double recipe.