Carmelized Sweet Potatoes - by Olga
Serving Size: 4 to 6
- 2-3 Sweet potato, large, diced about 3 cups
- 2 apples, large, diced – I used Gala but any kind will work (peeling optional)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt, fine grain
- 2 tsp Coconut sugar** - optional, organic
- 3 tbsp + 3 tsp Ghee or coconut oil
- Heat a large, seasoned cast iron pan (or any heavy skillet that won't stick) over medium heat and add 3 tbsp of the ghee*
- Once the pan is heated, add the diced sweet potatoes and sprinkle evenly with the sea salt and stir/toss to coat the potatoes cooking fat and salt.
- Cover the pan, using any cover that is large enough, for about 3 minutes. Uncover and stir, lower the heat a bit if the potatoes are starting to brown too much. Recover and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Uncover the pan and continue to cook, stirring, until the potatoes are light brown all over.
- Add the diced apples plus the 3 tsp ghee and stir to combine. If adding the coconut sugar*, do this now.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until the apples and potatoes are brown. Adjust the heat of your stovetop as necessary to avoid burning.
- Once apples and potatoes are toasty, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon. Let cool a bit and then serve warm. Enjoy!